Monday, September 7, 2015

Michaelhouse Exchange

Michaelhouse Exchange

Davis Cavallo

       This summer I was able to travel to KwaZulu Natal in South Africa to attend The Michaelhouse School. I would like to thank the Warner Family and MBA for sending me to study abroad this summer.

       I had traveled to South Africa once before my exchange, and had done the whole tourist version of seeing the country, but I was very excited to get to experience the country in a more real sense this time around. I arrived in Durban a few days early and stayed with the Green Family and the Gerrish Family. Both families lived in the outskirts of the city, but we did travel in quite a lot to go look around. Durban is a massive city filled with many activities including water parks, aquariums, a traditional Zulu village, alligator farms, and so much more. Both of my host families were wonderful and took me around to do all of these things.
WOW!

COOL!

       After around a week in Durban, we made the hour and a half car ride up to Michaelhouse. Upon arriving on campus, I was immediately impressed by the beauty of the school. While there, I roomed with a Mauritian named Sebastian, who was very welcoming and kind. I quickly found a group of boys who helped to show me around the school and get me used to the Michaelhouse ways. My experience at the school was just incredible: the facilities were nice, the teachers were very kind, and the students were extremely welcoming, and just seemed happy to be at the school. During free time, we played pool, watched TV, and just talked about US life compared to the South African ways.

PRETTY!

 JUST HANGING!

 DORM QUAD

        While at Michaelhouse I had the opportunity to play squash, a game very similar to racquetball, but on a smaller court, and with a less bouncy ball.
SQUASH

       Another exciting part of my trip was being able to go to the Nambiti Game Reserve and go game viewing. Nothing in the world can compare to this experience, because it is just so different from anything else in the World. This was by far my favorite part of the trip.

       I am so grateful to have received this exchange and so happy I experienced this trip first hand. Thank you again to MBA and the Warner Family for giving me this once in a lifetime opportunity. 

No comments:

Post a Comment