Monday, September 7, 2015

Melbourne Grammar School, Chase Meluch

Melbourne Grammar School, Chase Meluch

Melbourne Grammar School was a fantastic school that I visited for a month from July-8th to August 8th. I stayed with my host family, the Camerons, and my host brother, Rob Cameron. I went on the exchange with Davis Voecks and Bronson Ingram.
 
We started our adventure by flying a nice double decker plane for 16 hours.
 
On my first few days I visited the city of Melbourne, about 25 minute tram ride from my house, and saw some of their famous graffiti walls and Australian museums. At the museums I looked more at the beautiful Australian artists and aboriginal art.


One of the coolest places we went in Melbourne was the MCG (Melbourne Cricket Ground). It is a giant, extremely nice stadium that has cricket, AFL (Australian Football), Rugby matches and more at it. I even was lucky to see a few soccer games played there like Manchester City vs. Real Madrid.
 
 
Mr. Cameron (my host family dad) took me to the Australian Bush on a Sunday to see a different side of Australia. I saw an old railroad bridge and also got to cut down a few trees for firewood.
 
 
On the weekend of my Birthday, All the exchanges and their hosts went to Alex's Beach house (Davis Voeck's host) for the whole weekend. We got to experience the coast and Australia's famous and beautiful Great Ocean Road.
(Pictures from the Great Ocean Road view)
 
One of the most fun things we did was going to Healesville Sanctuary with all the exchanges from MGS for a day during school. We saw several animals that are native to Australia. We got to see koalas sleeping, a swimming platypus, touch kangaroos, hold cockatoos, see a bird show, and got to pet the coolest animal Australia has to offer: The Dingo.
 
 
 
Davis and I were able to visit a family friend's farm for the last weekend on Sunday. We got to have the fantastic once and a lifetime experience of herding sheep. It was hilarious, fun, extremely interesting to see how it all works (we got to help them take the sheep to the sheep auction), and extremely disgusting, but it just made it more of a memory to have! We also learned sheep trucks are not the cleanest things to drive.
 
Australian Farms are quite beautiful though #kingskypic
 
The school itself was fantastic. They have a lot more freedom to choose what classes they take. For example, At first I followed my host Rob around, but he takes no sciences, one math, and a lot of humanities courses; however, since I am interested in the Sciences and Maths, I followed a guy named Nelson around for the rest of the time. The school itself is similar to MBA, except their uniforms are a little more advanced to say the least. While I was at the school, I was luck to be able to play for the Second's soccer team. It was mostly full of year 12's, but playing with the mates was one of the best parts about the trip, especially making all the friends I was able to make on the team.
 
School pics:




 
Pics of soccer team and friends:





 
 
I sincerely would like the thank Mr. Gioia, the Warner Family, and MBA for making this exchange and experience possible for me. It was a fabulous trip. I would also like to sincerely thank Rob, the Cameron Family, and all of the friends that helped make my stay as memorable as it could be. Thank you.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment