Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Eton College 2015

On my flight over to England, I could not seem to embrace the thought of attending one of the World's most renown schools, Eton College, for three months. And although it was nerve racking at first, it became one of the greatest experiences of my life. Upon landing, I was met by Mr. Oliphant-Callum, who drove me from Heathrow Airport to Eton College in Windsor. Due to my unfamiliarity with the roads in England, I constantly thought that we were about to be in a car accident on the ride over, yet we survived. Upon arriving, I stayed in Mr. Oliphant-Callum's personal house for two nights until Eton's next term started and I could move into my house.

For the term, I stayed in Manor House along with 40 other boys with Mr. Nolan, who was the housemaster, watching over us. Manor House, also known as TEJN in accordance to the housemaster's initials, was one of the older, more traditional houses that was located on the main road that led through Eton. Manor House was also across the street from College Chapel, the school's personal church. I attended Eton College for an entire term, requiring me to due all the work just as a regular student would as well as choose classes. I was put into the C-Block, the equivalent of a junior, and I took classes in math, language, history, and english. As a C-Blocker, or Junior, one is only to take 4 classes as they narrow down their interest and determine which subjects they wish to major in and focus on. Therefore, although there may be only 4 classes, these classes could be taken twice a day or more. These classes were taken every day of the week except Sunday. On days where classes were required, the morning consisted of an alternating chapel service or school assembly, depending on your grade or block. Yet, before going to this morning event or even classes, one must put on a full tuxedo complete with a tail coat as permitted by the school uniform standards that originated in the 1400s.

Athletics at Eton College varied from soccer to rugby to the Eton field game, an original game invited in 1815 that only Eton college plays. These athletics were played on Tuesdays and Thursdays while there was open time on all other days to organize a game with a group of friends. I was able to play the field game, and I must say that it is one of the most confusing games ever invented. In fact, there are constant pauses were the referees have to discuss the call or even consult the rule book. There are other times when referees call a penalty that players did not even know existed. Regardless, it is a fun and interesting game that incites much concentration and aggressive play.

All in all, Eton College provided me with an unforgettable opportunity to be apart of a school that is filled with history, world influence, and political entities. I will never forget the friendships that I created with my friends in England with people such as George Rix, Villiers Smith, Kit Eastwood, and Charlie Mostyn. For now, those names may seem unfamiliar to you, but in coming years they will be some of the most highly influential people in the world due to their studies at Eton College. In going to Eton, I was able to see how the royalty of the World study and understand that MBA has provided me with not only the opportunity to study at such a school but also the ability to be competitive with such students who attend these schools. I will miss all of my mates in England, and I will never forget the influence that Eton College has had on me.






No comments:

Post a Comment