Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Seth Cook Winchester College

Two housemates
Getting out of the car at Freddie's on Winchester's campus, I wanted nothing more in the entire world than a nap. Fortunately, I did not get one. Instead I was roped in to some strange soccer based game that the boys played in their garden. I quickly met almost every boy in the house. That night I went to my first "preces" meeting where every name was called and any announcements were made.

I started my first day with economics, a course that I had never studied before, and ended it with a Div tour to Winchester Cathedral. That Wednesday I began my CS (community service) with Ollie Redman, a housemate. We walked to St. Cross and helped an American man named Albert with whatever chores he needed help with.

The next couple of weeks went on and I continued to go to class and grow close with the other students. Felix Vardagh-Hunter and Angus Mckenzie both hosted me for a night during "Exeat" a weekend to go back home. Angus lived on a large estate in Southampton where I enjoyed an afternoon of tea and croquet.

Team Picture after our first win
When I returned the House Volleyball Tournament, a tradition forgotten for 30 years, was starting up. A good friend of mine was head of sport for the house and named me to be captain of the team. After a total of 4 preces speeches our team was ready for the finals with the rest of the house supporting us. In a victory over the Hopper's house we won the House Championship, and Ben Throsby assured me that I was probably the only non-Wykehamist to lead a team to a house championship and win.


I would just like to thank the Warner Family, Mr. Gioia, and Dr. Townsend for making these exchanges possible. This was my first visit out of the country and it was truly unforgettable. Without this program I would never have been able to meet such amazing people, and I would not be able to call myself an almost OW.

No comments:

Post a Comment