Monday, October 13, 2014

Melbourne Grammar School, Cole Jones, 2014

Attending Melbourne Grammar School for one month opened my eyes to both the similarity, and the differences between my own culture and the world outside my bubble. The Warner Exchange program has allowed me to build lifelong jokes, friendships, and memories. 

Host
During my time in Melbourne, I stayed with Alex Gilham, a year 11 at MGS, and his family. The Gilhams are a family of accomplished musicians, something that I came to appreciate during my time abroad. I understood their passion for music on a deeper level, and was astounded by each individual's ability in orchestral music.

Athletics
Although I wasn't able to pick up Alex's ability on the trombone while I stayed with him, I did compete with the school's cross country team. During my time I was able to compete in two races, one against other schools, and one between the grades at MGS. It was a great experience and I was able to place 2nd in the 11th year race, winning a bet against Gage Anderson. He now owes me a Pikachu costume.

Entertainment
For fun, we often wove through downtown Melbourne. This was one of my favorite parts of the trip, experiencing the culture of Melbourne through it's shops, museums, and graffiti filled alleyways. 

Instead of pictures, I took videos while in Melbourne. If you care to see visuals of my experience abroad, please watch the video below. I complied every short video from the trip into one video. Every six seconds is a new day. Enjoy! 
    



Conclusion
I want to thank the Warner Family, Mr. Gioia, Mrs. Warner, and the entire school for this incredible experience. It has changed the way I have thought about about the world, and opened up doors to incredible new friendships.

No comments:

Post a Comment