Monday, October 13, 2014

Curtis Turner: Bishops Diocesan College 2014

Curtis Turner: Bishops Diocesan College 2014

Departure:
     The day following Independence Day my family and I drove to Nashville International Airport to begin my trip. This drive epitomized my trip: full of exhilaration. However, this excitement was not only due to my zeal for travel, because fifteen minutes into the drive to the airport, we realized that I had left one of the most important documents for international travel at home: my passport. So, we were forced to spend an extra thirty minutes rushing back home to search for the missing document. Thankfully, we were able to uncover it and make it to the airport in enough time for my flight and embark on my journey. My first flight consisted of an easy hour flight to Atlanta, from which I flew across the Atlantic to reach Johannesburg on a sixteen hour flight filled with sleeping, reading, and watching movies. Luckily, I had no troubles getting through customs, and my final connecting flight to Durban, South Africa was on time. After about twenty-four hours of travel time, I had finally reached my destination. At the airport, I was happily reunited with Zander Prinsloo, a great friend of mine and a Michaelhouse student whom I had hosted in America during my junior year. After a joyous embrace, we packed my bags into his father's car and drove to their home in the Zimbali Coastal Resort. Initially jarred by driving on the left (wrong) side of the road, I grew accustomed to the new way of traveling and was able to admire the beautiful Durban coastline on the road to their house.

Stay in Zimbali
     In Zimbali, I was quickly introduced to the wildlife that lives in the resort when in my first morning in South Africa, I awoke to the screams of Zander's mother, Lina Prinsloo. The cause of these high-pitched yells was a monkey who got into the house due to, of course, my open bathroom window! Furthermore, driving around Zimbali in the Prinsloo's gold cart, I grew accustomed to coming within mere feet of indigenous bushbuck and other animals. In addition, I immediately was engrossed in the culinary aspect of South Africa, trying new foods such as biltong, droewors, and ox tails. I loved every bite of it! After a few days of recuperation from traveling, we traveled to a pineapple farm in Sodwana, owned by a friend of the Prinsloo's.
Monkey in back yard- Zimbali
View from back porch- Zimbali

Trip to Sodwana:
     I will never forget my trip to the biggest pineapple farm in South Africa. In addition to meeting many family friends of the Prinsloos, I went on many first-time excursions that I will always cherish. For example, on the first day in Sodwana, we went deep-sea fishing, where I caught a 5kg (~11lbs) yellowfin tuna. Then, because the wind was blowing too violently the next day, I spent the next day getting a tour of the farm and participating in a guineafowl hunt. Luckily, I managed to capture one of the pesky pineapple-destroyers. Then, on the way back to the house, we stopped by a friend's house, where I was able to hold a baby caracal! When we got home, we had just enough energy to start a massive game of King (Table-tennis). Full of firsts, we went back to Durban after a trip filled with exhilaration.
Yellowfin Tuna- right hand
My hunting trip (guineafowl)


Baby caracal
 Rest of Zimbali Trip:
     During the rest of my stay in Zimbali, my family and I watched a lot of World Cup Finals soccer. In addition, we took a day trip into Durban to take a Segway tour of the Durban waterfront and to participate in the highest swing in the world at Moses Mahbida stadium, which is about an eighty meter free fall. After this exhilarating escapade, it was finally time for me to fly across the country to Cape Town, South Africa, where I would attend Bishops Diocesan College for about two and a half weeks. My stay in Zimbali was awesome and I can't wait until I get the opportunity to see my South African brother again.
Durban Segway Tour

Jokes before departure (right- Zander, left- Armin)
Bishops
     Upon my arrival to Cape Town, South Africa, I was immediately welcomed into the Rhode family. Christopher, my host, and his dad picked me up from the airport, from which we proceeded to go to the Cape Town waterfront to meet Christopher's mom for sushi at Willoughby's, a very nice restaurant in South Africa. The next day, Mr. Rhode drove Christopher and me to Bishops, where I met with housemaster Wallace. My dorm, White House, welcomed me from the start into their home, where I enjoyed playing quad soccer and watching first team (varsity) rugby with the other "oaks."



Cape Town waterfront


 Bishops Life:
     As I went from class to class, I also got to see the majestic scenery around campus, especially Table Mountain, the defining landmark in Cape Town. Walking around, I marveled the gorgeous campus that Bishops has maintained. Within this atmosphere of academics and wonderful views, however, Bishops life revolves around athletics. Most conversations started on the topics of favorite soccer clubs, rugby results, and field hockey. Because Bishops does not have a soccer team, I tried rugby. Let's just say it was difficult, to say the least. However, I had a ton of fun learning how to play the sport with some of my fellow housemates with the beautiful scenery of Table Mountain in the background. I also attended many of Christopher's field hockey matches, about which I also greatly enjoyed learning.  In addition, Christopher's dad managed to get me a trial at local soccer club Hellenic FC, where I was able to practice with them. So, most of the time outside of class I spent either participating or watching sports. In addition to classes, I went on many excursions organized by Mr. Phil Court with the other exchange students. We visited Nelson Mandela's prison cell on Robben Island, took a tour of Cape Town on the Hop on-Hop off buses, and went surfing in Muizenburg.  After about a week and a half of attending class, experiencing Cape Town, and trying new sports, I was able to go on a trip offered to all Bishops exchange students. We would travel along the Garden Route, a popular route that travels along the southwest coast of South Africa, along with exchange students from the sister school Herschels.

View from White House
First team rugby match
 Garden Route:
     On the Garden Route, I had many more first-time experiences. On the first day, we visited Kango Caves, where I petted a baby cheetah, and an ostrich farm, where I had the pleasure of sitting on one. The next day, we bussed down to Knysna, where we took a tour of Featherbed Nature Reserve. The third day, however, was by far the most exhilarating, because I was able to go bungee jumping off of the fourth tallest bungee jump in the world, measuring 267 meters! It was definitely the scariest thing I have ever done! Then, we proceeded onward to a game reserve, where we took a game drive to see animals such as lions, elephants, giraffes, hippos, and many other animals native to South Africa. I learned a lot about South Africa and the local history of Cape Town on this trip and will never forget this week long excursion.
Sitting on an ostrich

My new friend Pippa the cheetah
The jump- Bloukrans

Being raised up

I did it


Easily one of the scariest things ever, but I will never regret doing it. The jump at Bloukrans may have even cured my fear of heights!

 Thanks So Much:
     I would like to thank Mr. Gioia, the Prinsloo family, the Rhode family, Mr. Pearson, Mr. Wallace, and everyone else who made this wonderful experience possible, with special thanks for Mr. and Mrs. Warner. Without them, this dream would never have become a reality. The events I have just described are not even the entire story. There are many more memories from this trip and friends that I gained in South Africa that will never leave me. I hope that I have been able to give you a sense of my great experience, and if anyone is thinking of applying for exchange I give it my highest regards. Exchange is a fantastic opportunity to not only gain new perspectives of other cultures, but also to make new friends and have great experiences that will never leave you. Thanks again!


Bishops chapel

Cape Point, South Africa






No comments:

Post a Comment