Monday, October 13, 2014

Kings School, Owen Powell, 2014

My time in Sydney Australia is without a doubt one the most fun things that I have ever done. The ability to travel all the way around the world to spend time making new friends that truly last a lifetime is unforgettable. The most special thing about the exchange program here is the ability to build friendships with people all around the world. My family has hosted several student, all of whom I still keep in touch with. One of the highlights of my time in Sydney was spending a couple evenings with an old friend Tom Harvey who my family hosted some 6 years ago. It was amazing to see how through the Warner Exchanges, I can travel around the world and still know people and spend time with them. It makes the world seem like a more welcoming and a more accepting place.

The Kings School system differed greatly from MBA's because of their trimester schedule. They had a block schedule, so every day you were taking different classes. Each trimester the classes you are enrolled in change. For instance, the first trimester one might take physics, then chemistry in the second, and biology in the third.

Athletically, I was able to participate in Rugby while I was there and made some great friends through that. I even got to play in a couple games.

One of the best things about the Kings School is how close it is to Sydney, and how accessible Sydney is from the school. Several times, school officials would allow us to leave classes to explore the city. We got to experience the Kings School classroom feel while also experiencing what Sydney is like. We would just take 4 stops on the M-54, hop on a train at Parramatta Station, and then off to wherever we wished to go. We got to go to the Sydney Aquarium, Sydney Zoo, Sydney Opera House, Bondi Beach, and many more extraordinary places. I am so thankful Mrs. Warner and Mr. Gioia and all that they did to make this trip unforgettable.

 Spending our first day in Australia at the world renown Bondi Beach.   
 Australian Sunset
Making friends with our favorite Australian, Tara Parish.
 Climbing the Sydney Harbor Bridge
 Holding a Joey (baby kangaroo)
 Relaxing after a tough Rugby game at Palm Beach
Enjoying a Rabbitos Rugby Match
After a Solid day of hunting with my boys

No comments:

Post a Comment