Friday, October 17, 2014

Akeim George -- Michaelhouse College Exchange 2014

My exchange to Michaelhouse College was filed with excitement the moment I stepped off of the plane in Johannesburg. Kang and I were quickly separated by hundreds of passengers looking for their bags. By chance, Kang and I were both scammed of $20 by "porters" who led us to our check-in kiosk, only to tell us their services were complimentary, not complementary. 

The next morning I woke up in time to see the sunrise: 

Jet-lag made this picture possible. 
After a confusing trip through the Johannesburg airport we boarded our cozy plane to Durban, where we met our first host brother, Matt Kiln.The Kilns lived in a neighborhood called Garlington in Hilton, a township close to Pietermaritzburg. I was exhausted and jet lagged, so I fell asleep during the World Cup final. 

While waiting for breakfast, Matt, his little brother, Kang and I went out to play touch rugby. Then Matt's mother called us in for a delicious breakfast of bacon, fried eggs, and toast. 

After breakfast, Matt's mother took us to see the Mandela Capture Sight, where I learned many things. For instance, Mandela wasn't always the activist that he was late in his life. 

Perhaps the most exciting part of the trip came after I had finally alleviated myself of jetlag. We met our other host brother, Fergus Hathorn, who was taking us to the Imfolozi Game Reserve. What we Americans call safaris, the South Africans called game drives -- they made it a point to remind us every day. On our weekend trip, the goal was to spot "The Big 5" -- which are the five most dangerous animals to hunt (White Rhino, Lion, Leopard, Buffalo, and Elephant). Only the leopards were able to avoid the keen eyes of myself and Kang.

A couple of elephants playing in the river

Pensive zebra staring into the distance.

After three days of unbelievable sights, frights from hyenas, and braais with the Kings (friends of the Hathorns) and Hathorns, we returned back to civilization to experience another staple of South African culture: rugby. We went to watch a match in the Commonwealth Games series; it was the KwaZulu-Natal Sharks versus the Highlanders of New Zealand. Before the game started, we were able to walk around Durban for a bit, and we ran into some friends! We saw MBA student Curtis Turner, and Zander Prinsloo, former exchange student, just outside of the stadium. After talking for a bit, we headed into the stadium to watch the South Africans do their thing.

After a week of incredible activities, Kang and I finally enrolled at Michaelhouse for their Michaelmas term and lived in Mackenzie Hall. Here, we were "B-Blockers," or 11th year students. We received special treatment from the younger students, who were obligated to greet us, grant us right of way on the walkways, and open doors for us. The hierarchy system was very important at Michaelhouse, and our B-Block scarves ensured that we got our deserved respect.


At Michaelhouse, I took Music, Afrikaans, Maths (math), English, Drama, and Biology. The schedule was run on a two-week rotating block system, like Harpeth Hall. After classes, which ended around 2:30 P.M., every boy was required to do a sport; I took up rugby since it was such an important sport in South African culture. I thought rugby would be an easy sport to pick up since everyone compared it to American football, but it felt more like a hybrid of soccer and hockey to me (two sports I have never played). It required much more fitness, and a bit more skill from all of the players for a good rugby team to form. I only had time to play in one 7v7 tournament, but I skyrocketed to superstardom in that short afternoon. I had four very long runs, one of which ended with me scoring (and showboating). Unfortunately, my flash in the spotlight was not captured on camera, but, trust me, I was good.

After athletics was prep, a time for students to do work. In this time, Kang and I roamed the campus and hung out with our old friend Shingi Vambe, or other guys in Farfield, the same house as our host brothers.  These "oaks" were some of my best friends while at Michaelhouse.

During this time I also got to know the Michaelhouse Music Department very well. Kang and I both performed at a local restaurant with the Michaelhouse choir boys, and I went on to perform three more times. I performed with the Michaelhouse jazz band for a dinner. I got to play sax and be the hype man for their competitive Marimba band. And I got to perform a duet at the all-girl school, St Anne's with Chelsea Kisbey-Green, an incredible saxophonist at St. Anne's. All of these performances happened with less than a couple of days of practice, so I greatly appreciated them allowing me to help out.
Or we would sit in our room with restricted Wi-Fi when everyone had work.
Sounds like a lot so far, right? The trip must have ended after so many once-in-a-lifetime opportunities? NOPE. Michaelhouse decided to take all of the exchange students on another game drive, this time on the private Nambiti Game Reserve.
Exchange students (minus Kang) atop Pride's Rock
Here, we were pampered with unrestricted Wi-Fi usage, warm hand towels after every game drive, and absolutely fabulous meals. It was here that we saw the entirety of the Big 5 (still no leopard picture though). This trip gave us a chance to bond with the other exchange students, and enjoy South Africa's wilderness even more.
Zebra and giraffe grazing in the morning
White Rhino

Lions feasting on a carcass.

A sign of things to come...
After yet another phenomenal event in South Africa, our time there was finally running out. We took the last week of school to get to know the boys in our own house, and to thank all of our teachers for allowing us to distract their classes with our American presence. After an emotional last day at Michaelhouse, Kang and I departed South Africa with great pictures and an even greater experience under our belts.


I'd like to thank the Warner family immensely for sponsoring this program, as it has truly opened my eyes to the diversity of our world. I had never been to the African continent, and I cannot think of any better way to have had a first taste than this one. I'd also like to thank Mr. Gioia and the school for making this program available to me. The MBA exchange program is a truly life-changing experience that I would not trade for anything in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment