Monday, October 13, 2014

Melbourne Grammar School, Gage Anderson, 2014


I was fortunate enough to be able to go on exchange to Melbourne Grammar School this past summer and it is one of my fondest memories. I am so grateful to everyone who made this trip a reality especially the Whitson family, Mrs. Warner, Mr. Gioia, the Pie family, the Furness family and the entire MGS faculty and student body.

After approximately 23 hours of flying time, we landing in Melbourne early on the morning of July 10th. My host, Hamish, and his father were there to greet me at the airport and drive me to their house, my home for the next four and a half weeks. The Furness family had a full house while I was there. In addition to Hamish, his sister, Mr and Mrs. Furness, 4 guinea pigs, a dog and a cat, they hosted multiple other family members and friends.

Melbourne Grammar School is located right in the heart of the city. Everyday to get to and from school, Hamish and I had to walk 15 minutes to the neighborhood train stop and catch a train to the main train station in Melbourne. From there, we had to ride the number 8 tram from the station to the school stop and finally walk 5 minutes from that tram stop to school. After the morning classes, we would make our way down the street to some restaurants for lunch. Our favorite place was Café Brasserie which had free wifi and the best fish and chips I have ever had. We went there at least two to three times a week and befriended many of the workers. After school, we would usually go for a long run through the city to explore and get some exercise.

Our host families made sure our weekends were jam packed with fun things to do. One weekend we went down Great Ocean Road and went surfing. We also ventured to an animal sanctuary to see some Australian wildlife. Another weekend we went to a footy (Australian rules football) game and then most nights we would end up exploring the city for hours. China town was one of our favorite places and most nights we would make a pit stop at the Lindt store for some insane hot chocolate and Belgium waffles. As we explored the city, we were constantly in search of finding the best restaurants and the elusive poof doof.

My time in Melbourne flew by and after four and a half weeks, it was time to make the trek home. I had the experience of a lifetime and the friendships I made will always stay with me. As I write about my time overseas,  I am overwhelmed with a flood of memories and emotions. I am so thankful for this opportunity and I am glad I got to share it with two of my good friends. I realized I could not post the 458 picture album that I have of my trip so please enjoy a few of the pictures below.


View from the bridge we ran on everyday after school.


Hamish and Anderson pose for a panorama in Hosier Alley.



 
Anderson, Cole, and I in our school uniforms.


The heart of Melbourne overlooking the Yarra river.


Hamish, Cole, and I at a stopping point on Great Ocean Road.



Some incredible street art in Hosier Lane. 

Our final day in Melbourne. 




No comments:

Post a Comment