Sunday, October 26, 2014

Harrison Lien The King's School

I was fortunate enough to attend The King's School in Parramatta, Australia. The school is a boarding school on a 365 acre estate. The campus is surrounded by dense woods, or as they call it, "bush land". The flight was long, but once we got there, we were all warmly welcomed and quickly became another King's School student.  


The school is a traditional school and is like MBA, but is also different in many ways. The school wears military like uniforms and was rated the most recognizable uniform in Australia, so most of the boys take it off after school so they won't be reported for doing something wrong. 
The King's School has amazing boarding houses and an Anglican church dating back over a hundred years. The Kings School was founded in 1831 and is the oldest Australian Independent school. These are pictures of an eighth grade dorm and the old chapel. 






















The school was only a few miles from the train station, so we were able to take the bus, which stops right outside the school gates, to the train station and then go to downtown Sydney.
My week day host lived in Sydney and it was great because I was able to experience the city life of Sydney. On the weekends I went to a lake house owned by Owen's weekend host, Charlie. It was in Palm Beach, which is notorious for being in movies and TV shows. 

My weekend host, was the Manns. They lived around three hours away on a property called Moonbucca. Moonbucca was a 1,500 acre property devoted to the family business of sheep farming. The Mann's were very welcoming and allowed me to help move the sheep and hunt at night. 

















My time at The King's School was one of the best months I have had in my high school career. I learned about the Australian culture and found a sense of independence that I will carry with me for the rest of my life. None of this could have been possible without the Warner family and I would like to thank them for allowing me to experience this once in a lifetime exchange.

No comments:

Post a Comment