Thursday, August 10, 2023

Samuel Trumble - Tasmania

 After spending 40 hours in airports and airplanes and traveling through many connecting flights, I finally arrived in Hobart, Tasmania. 

In the first week of my exchange I traveled with my host family to Mt Wellington, a point of prominent elevation above Hobart. The views looking over the city and the rugged terrain towards the back were unbelievable. 


Also in my first week of living in Tasmania I traveled with my host family to Bruny Island. At this point I boarded a boat to go examine an island off the coast of an island off the coast of an island off the coast of an island. 


In the second week of my excursion I continued to attend the Hutchins School and learn more about what it is like to be a student in Tasmania. I was able to help coach the middle school cross country team while they ran at Tasmanian state championships. Over the weekend I visited yet another island. This time we went to Maria Island, which was home to all of the native wildlife including the Foster Kangaroo and the Wombat. 

The Maria Island area used to be home to a heavy whaling community and there are huge whale bones that lay all over the island.

My third and final week of my trip was spent with my host family and seeing as much of Tasmania as possible. I had on my bucket list that I wanted to see a Tasmanian devil. They are extremely rare to see in the wild because of their low population, so we decided we would go to a nature rescue.

For my last meal in Tasmania my host family wanted to send me off with something unique. So that night we ate kangaroo just 5 hours after petting and feeding a few. 


I will forever be grateful for my opportunity to travel to Tasmania on exchange. I had a wonderful time learning about the culture and history as well as meeting so many great people.


No comments:

Post a Comment