Friday, August 16, 2019

Bishop's Diocesan College Exchange 2019



This summer I had the opportunity to travel to Cape Town, South Africa, and attend the Bishop's Diocesan College. Similar to MBA, Bishops is a traditional all-boys school founded in 1849 by Bishop Robert Gray. The school consists of five day boy houses and three boarding houses. My exchange partner was Joseph Ruiz-von Walter, who was a week boarder in one of the boarding houses, White House. The White House is the newest boarding house and was founded in 1954. Coincidently, the house is the farthest from the center of campus, while sitting on the Piley-Rees field. The field itself is one of the most historic rugby venues in the country and as home to the first-ever rugby game in South Africa.












I was immediately absorbed by the school culture during the first week of my exchange. After my arrival to Capetown late on a Friday night, my host family took me to Joe's rugby match early the next day. The venue had much to offer: food trucks, multiple rugby matches, field hockey, and other social activities. The rugby fixture was an all-day event where everyone bought into the program.





On Sunday, we visited a favorite of the Ruiz family: the Oranjezicht City Farm Market. While the market was similar to many farmers markets within the States, many of the stalls sold exotic foods and produce. Traditional cuisines from all over the world came together to provide sustainable food for everyone. It was amazing to see so many South Africans come together to provide organic and sustainable produce in so many ways. Fresh breads, meats, juices, and other foods were sold to hundreds of people for reasonable prices.





I was warmly welcomed by the Bishop's student body during the school week. I was offered to choose my curriculum. Along with the standard math and science courses, I took the classes that I thought would be interesting for a foreigner: Economics, South African History, and Afrikaans. I enjoyed these classes the most. Although I spoke no Afrikaans (and I still speak almost none), the teachers were thrilled to see me attempt to translate passages in the book they were reading. The economics course was interesting, and I am confident I will have a headstart on my economic class this upcoming year.








Outside of the classroom, I was apart of many different programs around Bishops. I attended rugby practices and even played in a game against SACS. This sporting fixture has its roots in a historic rivalry. As aforementioned, the first-ever rugby game that was played in South Africa was played on Piley-Rees field in 1862. In this match, Bishops Diocesan College played the South African College School (SACS). Thus, being apart of this rugby match was especially significant for me. I also played the upright bass in the school's orchestra and found myself involved in multiple extracurricular societies.








The school also arranged a few trips for the students. During the first week, the students were sent to ride the "Hop-On, Hop-Off" bus tour around the City. We were able to see many sections of the city including Camps Bay, Clifton, and the Victoria and Albert Waterfront to name a few. We learned about the geography of the city, including the "Wind-free" zones that were home to the most luxurious houses in the city. Furthermore, the tour taught me a lot about the historical significance of the city.








During the third week, we also took a trip to the famous Muizenberg beach to go surfing. Although not technically an academic trip, this trip completed my South African experience. It was wintertime in Cape Town, but the bodysuits kept the exchanges warm and the waves were solid. My favorite trip, however, was the climb of the Lion's Head. Adjacent to Table Mountain, the peak provided a stunning view of Cape Town and the surrounding regions.








Joe and his mother also took me to Botlierskop Game Reserve on Mossel Bay. The reserve was close to five hours from Cape Town, but worth the drive. We did a nature walk, horseback ride, and two game drives while on the reserve I was fortunate to see four of the Big Five: lions, elephants, rhinoceroses, and buffaloes along with various other creatures. Being able to see these animals in their natural habitat was truly special and unforgettable.








The events listed in this blog just begin to scratch the surface of my experience on exchange. I was able to participate in countless other braais (barbecues), sporting fixtures, lectures, clubs, and activities which allowed me to grasp the culture of the school and South Africa. Finally, I would like to thank the Warner family for allowing me this priceless opportunity to be a part of this amazing program. I would also like to thank Mr. Gioia, Mr. Pearson, Mrs. Scholer, and Mr. Court for organizing the exchange program and ensuring my safety and well-being. I had a wonderful experience and will cherish it forever.





Lekker Bru,


Peter Minkoff






















No comments:

Post a Comment