Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Taylor Adams, Winchester College in England

Upon arriving at Winchester, I was tired, nervous, and had no idea what an amazing month lie ahead of me. Quickly I found that I had nothing to worry about when a new student showed me inside the boarding house and gave me a tour. Little did I know, I would become close friends with him during my stay. But as soon as I got to my room, I fell on my bed and was asleep in seconds. It seemed like whenever I was trying to sleep, people kept coming in my room introducing themselves and being extremely friendly. I’ve got to say, having unfamiliar people introducing themselves to you in a new place is a good problem to have. As soon as my first lunch at Winchester College came around, I could tell it was going to be a good stay when two guys immediately asked if I wanted to go on a run with them, and for some reason I said yes, even as tired as I were. 

A view of the school's armory


Classes started the next day for me, and so school in the summer began. Summer school has always been something I have tried to avoid, but if offered the chance again, I’d say yes in a heartbeat. I was excited before every class knowing that I would be learning something that I would never have the chance to do in America. I was able to take classes that are not even offered at MBA such as Theology and Philosophy and a class called Division, which is only offered at Winchester College. I even had the chance to get a jump start in Economics, which I am taking this fall. The English classes introduced me to literature that I would have never had the opportunity to study at MBA. Throughout the five weeks I stayed in Winchester, I enjoyed studying a whole spectrum of topics such as Auden’s poetry, Aristotle’s philosophy, Voltaire’s Candide, the Walmart of England, TESCO, and even the current tensions in Syria from England’s perspective. My mind was opened to a new array of ideas and ways of thinking from my time at one of the best high schools in the world.
Where I had most classes
After school there was always something to do. Soon into my stay, I joined the ultimate frisbee team that had recently been created by one of the top years in my house. I even got to compete in the final game of the year against another house called The College. Unfortunately we lost, but I did get to keep the jersey! On some other days, I would walk down to the river Winchester College built for their rowing team in order to stay in shape for rowing season in America. The river is really barely more than a stream making it hard to believe that the guys who have to practice on it every day could even compete with the German national champions team at the Henley Royal Regatta, one of the world’s most renown regatta. I would have attended had I not had classes, but I heard the stories of the nail-biter race, which the Germans ultimately won. The rowing team was disappointed, but I didn’t think they had anything to be upset about. The Henley Royal Regatta is something that I could only dream of going to, but I do think it may be in the MBA rowing team’s near future. 
A few of my housemates

Aside from school and sports, the people I met and befriended are some of the best guys I have ever met. In my house, called Sergeants, I liked every single guy. Being that I was a fourth year at Winchester, I was closest to other fourth years followed by the third years and top years. Because we lived in a boarding house, I was constantly around the same group of guys allowing me to be closer friends with each of them. On some nights when we didn’t have very much homework, we would all crowd into the house TV room and go crazy over watching a “football” match (they didn’t like it when I called it soccer). One of the guys was kind enough to invite me to his manor house on our only night away from school, and I met his wonderful family and enjoyed the beautiful English countryside on the way. When the weather finally began to improve, one of the guys in my house invited all of the fourth years in the house a barbecue at his house. We swam, ate, played tennis and croquet, and enjoyed the surprisingly comfortable weather. When the semester ended and summer break was beginning, it was sad leaving behind the laughs we had all shared together, but I will always cherish the memories made with the guys in my house.

Winchester Cathedral

Lastly, I would just like to give a huge thanks to the Warner family for such an amazing opportunity. Winchester has always been a school that I’ve dreamed of seeing, and thanks to the Warner family, not only was I able to see the school, but also I was able to attend it! I had an incredible time, and I know that the experiences will influence me for the rest of my life. Very few people are given the chance to visit such a prestigious school, and the Warner family's contribution to give young men such an opportunity is appreciated beyond words. 

No comments:

Post a Comment