Wednesday, September 18, 2013

David Spencer, Melbourne Grammar School, Melbourne Australia

Week 1 

The first day of my journey to Australia entailed spending a long time on the airplane. After saying goodbye to our families, Keith, William , and I spent around 20 hours on our trek to Melbourne Australia. We arrived in Melbourne around noon and were exhausted from traveling the entire day. Keith, William, and I arrived in Melbourne during the school's winter holiday so we had about a week to adjust to the 15 hour time difference, change of season, and funny accents. My host family greeted us at the airport and I met my host brother Alexander, followed by his brothers Andrew and Anthony, and their parents Steve and Marika. After a quick description of the city on our way home from the airport, Alexander and I ate some greek slouvakis from a local vendor. For dinner, I joined William and Keith for pizza at a hotel with my host family before catching some sleep at my hosts house in Victoria. On the second day I woke up to a very big breakfast consisting of toast, bacon, eggs. I played ping pong
Sovereign Hill
with Anthony and Andrew most the day before Alexander gave me a tour of the downtown area of Melbourne. While downtown Alexander toured me around the city containing roughly 4 million people. Here I was able to view the famous Eureka Tower and also many architecturally fascinating buildings. On the third day, I received my school uniform consisting of black pants, leather shoes, black socks, a collared blue shirt, a sweater, a tie, and a blazer with the school emblem. Although Australia rarely sees snow, this extra clothing helped me stay warm during their relatively cold winter season. After getting my uniform, my host family took me to an old mining town, Sovereign Hill. This gold mine town replicated the communities the miners resided in during the 19th century after discovering gold. Next, Alexander and I attended a Barbecue at, former MBA exchange, Jeremy's house before going to a fundraiser with Keith and William that Jeremy initiated. At this event we were able to meet many people that we would be attending class with for the following month. The following day us Americans witnessed an exhilarating last second victory in a local rugby match with former MBA exchange Seb. Then the next day my host family took me to Healesville Sanctuary where I saw Australian animals such as kangaroos and koalas. This place was similar to a zoo that housed only Australian native animals. That night I encountered the rich diversity of Australia after tasting delicious Vietnamese food near my temporary home. The following day I was able to attend an Australian Football League match where I witnessed a rough mix of soccer and football without pads.  
Kangaroo at Healesville
Melbourne Grammar

School Days

The next week we began attending class at Melbourne Grammar School. Alexander and I often took the early tram or bus to school when his dad was unable to drop us off. My classes included politics, extended study, literature, media, and math. During politics, I was able to learn more about contemporary Australian politics and their intense political debate going on during my stay. My host mother packed my lunch for me everyday, although the school contained a canteen filled with many foods and beverages, and the school resided near many restaurants that the students could visit during lunch. Melbourne Grammar had many similarities to MBA. The school held assemblies usually every week and offers rigorous academics as well as competitive sports. However, the boys do not have practice everyday after school. Additionally, I noticed they had a very relaxed school setting compared to our school. After school, Keith and I participated in basketball and played in their games on saturdays. Keith, William, and I often spent time with the members of the basketball team and former MBA exchanges who were very welcoming and kind to us. Usually my host family and I would have a family dinner every night with food that I was usually familiar with.
Flinders Street


Final Days

In the end it was hard to leave all the people I had met but I was also excited to be home. The month long trip went by quickly as all the fun events and school kept me occupied. I learned that I became more aware of the strange culture of Australia, while also being able to distinguish my own culture. My trip was filled with many wonderful adventures that I am very thankful to have experienced. Everyone we encountered was very hospitable and kind to us Americans during our stay. I would like to thank everyone involved in the exchange program including the Warner family, Mr. Gioia, and the Montgomery Bell Academy, as well as the many kind people I met down under during my stay.
Americans at the Australian Football game

No comments:

Post a Comment